I decided to take the fleece covers off the raised beds yesterday, hoping that the veg wouldn't get eaten. I was initially a bit dismayed to see a load of birds arrive. On closer inspection, they were house sparrows and goldfinches and seemed to be eating between the greenery, so I left them to it. When I went out later, I couldn't see any obvious damage, so I think they may have been eating the ants. House sparrows are supposed to be in decline (have a read here), but they seem to be thriving around here, and we even have a nest in the eaves!
Jobs I've done this weekend include:
- thinned out the red onions
- earthed up the potatoes again
- potted on the sweetcorn and courgettes
- planted out the brussel sprouts
- lawn mowing
- clearing a very overgrown flower bed
Well I did say it was a busy weekend!